Get involved too! Respond to the stories, share your own photos and memories by emailing Paul van Yperen: email@example.com
Briefly describe your story and what material you have. We will contact you as soon as possible!
Feel free to forward this message to others. Look back with pride and enjoy at our revolutionary and wonderful event that made Amsterdam the Gay Way To Europe.
Everyone is welcome and you can join until 8 August 2023!
- New film with Ed van BetuwAs an anthropology student at Leiden University, Lotte van den Hanenberg researched the experiences of LGBTI persons in sport. She also made a short documentary about this, Proud to sport, with Ed van Betuw as one of the two main characters. Ed talks about his involvement in Gay Games Amsterdam 1998 and Smashing Pink in… Lees verder New film with Ed van Betuw
- Party animalsMany people say that Gay Games Amsterdam 1998 was one big party. Some people mean that literally. And indeed, there were parties all over the city, every night. Official, unofficial, for men, for women…. By: Paul van Yperen It seems to have been great. Seems, because I did hear that Grace Jones was performing, but… Lees verder Party animals
- The Gay Games Press Conference in Chicago in 1997Francis Cox, management assistant during Gay Games Amsterdam 1998, emailed us a special series of photos: ‘A few days ago I was browsing through some old photos and found footage from the Gay Games press conference in Chicago.’ By: Paul van Yperen In 1997, together with the international branch of the VVV, we were present… Lees verder The Gay Games Press Conference in Chicago in 1997
- The happy side of Gay Games 1998Judith van Cleeff was Squash coordinator during Gay Games Amsterdam 1998. For her colleagues at the City of Amsterdam’s Grondbedrijf (development company), she kept a diary in the magazine Grip at the time. Below, we post a few excerpts and pictures from it. Sunday 2 August 1998Up early. No problem. High strung on my bike… Lees verder The happy side of Gay Games 1998
- Excerpts from Renate Stoute’s diaryWe received a special response from Janis Wagemans: ‘During the 1998 Gay Games, my partner (who died in 2000) and author Renate Stoute also made a contribution.’ We spoke to Janis (Djezz) about that optimistic but also tough period and about her book My wife was never a girl. From Renate’s diary, we may share… Lees verder Excerpts from Renate Stoute’s diary
- Surprise – two German participants in Amsterdam‘In the late 1980s and into the 1990s, I was active in Tijgertje (Little Tiger – the oldest LGBTi+ sports association in the Netherlands), which once started as a self-defence organisation for gays. During the Gay Games in 1998, I offered a sleeping place to two members of our Berlin counterpart, Gaysha.’ Speaking is Peter… Lees verder Surprise – two German participants in Amsterdam
- A small, beautiful anecdoteOn Movisie.nl, the series of experience stories of Gay Games participants, visitors and organisers continues to grow. The latest story is of Joni Oyserman: ‘Veel dove mensen zeggen dat ze nooit meer zo’n fijne bubbel hebben meegemaakt.’ (‘Many deaf people say they have never experienced such a nice bubble again’ – Sorry it’s in Dutch!’)… Lees verder A small, beautiful anecdote
- Bob van Schijndel looks back with photos‘It is nice to do something together with other gay men – in the back of my mind I hoped that there would be a nice type for me. But I met my partner somewhere else.’ Gay Games Amsterdam 1998 ‘We were a bit disappointed that we had to go to Amersfoort for the swimming.… Lees verder Bob van Schijndel looks back with photos
- Take a look at the photo album with pictures of Marian Bakker!Marian Bakker took many pictures before and during Gay Games Amsterdam 1998. Browse through the album and tell us your story! Click on the button below: until 1 August 2023, exactly 25 years after the start of the Gay Games Amsterdam 1998
- The four postcards with MaximOnce in a while you find one on eBay, a vintage postcard with Maxime, the official mascot of Gay Games Amsterdam 1998. Maxim Bezembinder remembers that four cards were made at the time, one of them against his will. Text continues below the images 1. Maxim: ”The picture of the first card, on which I… Lees verder The four postcards with Maxim
- Jeanette Nijboer about water polo, swimming and sore musclesThis year Gay Swim Amsterdam officially celebrates its 25th anniversary, but we had already started swimming and water polo before that’, writes Jeanette Nijboer. ‘We participated in the water polo at the Gay Games in Amsterdam with two women’s teams, a men’s team, a mixed international team and many swimmers. We had called up women… Lees verder Jeanette Nijboer about water polo, swimming and sore muscles
- CabOne of the many great memories of Gay Games Amsterdam 1998 that stands out for Hans Willemsen: ‘Halfway through the Games, I take a cab home at 5 in the morning after one of the many parties. A typical Amsterdam cab driver with a fat Amsterdam accent. We get to talking. Of course he starts… Lees verder Cab
- Danny Andreas’ photosDanny Andreas took many photos during the Gay Games and even dedicated a photo exhibition to it in café het Paleisje. At our request, he selected six of his favourite photos from 1998 and shares his memories. Photo 1In this photo, two athletes help each other during the warm-up in Friendship Village. This picture is… Lees verder Danny Andreas’ photos
- Erik Musch, data coordinator during Gay Games Amsterdam 1998During the Gay Games I first volunteered at the call centre and then worked two months as a staff member with Liesbeth van Houten. My task was to work out the data collection of the sports results. I had to make sure that the results were collected centrally – at the headquarters in the Stopera… Lees verder Erik Musch, data coordinator during Gay Games Amsterdam 1998
- Gay Games fixed item in Flamingo NewsletterSince April 2022 the monthly Flamingo Newsletter of Roze Stadsdorp Amsterdam (Pink Village Amsterdam) also shares memories of Gay Games. The Stadsdorp is a network of 50 plus LGBTI+ people from Amsterdam and has about 1000 members. ‘Taking care of yourself and others. Now and later!’ is the mission of Roze Stadsdorp. Joining is free.… Lees verder Gay Games fixed item in Flamingo Newsletter
until 1 August 2023, exactly 25 years after the start of the Gay Games Amsterdam 1998